Jersey City Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident, turn to the trusted and experienced Jersey City personal injury lawyers at Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers. We’ll help you navigate your case and get you the financial reward you need and deserve.
Pedestrian accidents are one of the most dangerous and damaging types of accidents on New Jersey roadways. Someone out enjoying a leisurely stroll is just no match for over 3,000-pounds of steel barreling down on them. A report by the Governors Highway Safety Association finds that New Jersey is one of the top 12 states in the U.S. for traffic-related pedestrian fatalities. In fact, data from the Office of the Attorney General finds that in 2016, 603 people lost their lives in motor vehicle-related crashes. Pedestrian fatalities represented 27 percent of those fatalities. In comparison, the national average for that year was only 15 percent.
There is no doubt that pedestrians who survive being hit by a motor vehicle will face an uphill battle as they work to regain their physical health. However, as these victims struggle to recover from their injuries, they soon find that the financial hardships of the accident can be just as devastating. Medical bills for hospitalization, surgery, medication, physical therapy, and rehabilitation are just the tip of the iceberg.
Don’t go broke trying to pay for your medical care on your own while you negotiate with an insurance adjuster. An insurance adjuster doesn’t want to help you, no matter how nice they sound over the phone. They want to help their company keep profits high. To get the compensation you deserve, you need to hire the experienced legal team at Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers.
At Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers, we know how to negotiate with insurance adjusters to help you get the most out of your claim. We also have extensive trial experience and will be ready to go to court if a negligent party or company is not negotiating in good faith. Get the legal advice you need now by contacting our office at (201) 583-5765 in order to schedule your free legal consultation.
Why Do I Need a Personal Injury Attorney If I’ve Been Involved in a Pedestrian Accident?
Following a serious auto-pedestrian accident, your priority should be recovering from your injuries. Unfortunately, for many pedestrians hit by cars, these injuries can be catastrophic or even life-changing. The healing process can be slow and painful and requires your full, almost constant attention. However, it can be hard to devote your time and attention to healing when you are facing serious financial strain as a result of your accident.
Pursuing compensation in New Jersey is complex. Unlike most states, New Jersey is a no-fault insurance state, which means that pedestrians must first turn to their own personal injury protection insurance to cover their injuries. Depending on the details of their insurance plan, they can likely only sue the at-fault party if their injuries meet New Jersey’s requirements, such as sustaining a displaced fracture, significant scarring, or a permanent injury.
No matter who we turn to for your financial recovery, we’ll negotiate assertively to get you the fair compensation you need. Insurance adjusters may seem friendly and supportive over the phone, offering you a sympathetic ear, but in reality, they may be trying to manipulate you into incriminating yourself or confusing you to the point where you misspeak or make a mistake. This is just one tactic they use to try and lower the sum they owe you following an accident.
An insurance company is never looking out for you; they are in the business of making money. In many cases, that means keeping their money and not paying out what they rightfully owe you following an accident. Don’t negotiate with them alone, get an attorney on your side who will fight for what you truly deserve.
At Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers, we take on the insurance company while you get back to focusing on what’s important, yourself. Our attorney can review the circumstances of your case and go to bat for you with the insurance company. Victims with an attorney in their corner can get up to three times more compensation than victims who negotiate on their own.
Types of Pedestrian Accident Cases We Handle
Pedestrians have just as much of a right to enjoy our New Jersey streets as motorists do. Yet, even when they follow all the rules, they face some of the most excruciating consequences when an accident does happen. New Jersey traffic laws are meant to protect both pedestrians and motorists – when someone ignores the rules, the consequences can be significant.
At Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers, we have helped victims of all types of pedestrian accidents recover the compensation they deserve. These are some examples of some of the types of pedestrian accident cases we handle:
- Distracted driving
- Phone calls, texting, using a GPS, eating and drinking, even grooming, anything that takes a driver’s eyes away from the road, even for a few seconds, is distracted driving. Distracted driving continues to be one of the leading causes of traffic accidents in the United States and poses a significant risk to pedestrians.
- Intoxicated or drunk driving
- According to the Governors Highway Safety Association, alcohol impairment has been reported in nearly half of the fatal traffic-pedestrian accidents in 2018. Alcohol impairment reduces reaction time, judgment, and can cause vision problems, making it a particular safety hazard for pedestrians.
- Left-hand turn accidents
- Drivers making a left-hand turn can be more prone to being involved in a pedestrian accident. That’s because a motorist making a left-hand turn is often more focused on watching the approaching the traffic instead of the crosswalk they’re about to cross. Therefore, they may be more likely to miss spotting a pedestrian trying to cross the road.
- Speeding can make it difficult to slow down in time to avoid hitting a pedestrian once the driver notices that the pedestrian is there. Speeding is a form of reckless driving that can have serious consequences for both the driver and the pedestrian in the path of the vehicle.
- School zone accidents
- Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration found that close to 19 percent of traffic-pedestrian fatalities involved children 14 years old and younger. The heavy foot traffic in school zones can make for a slow commute for drivers. Drivers failing to follow posted speed limits, not paying attention to their surroundings, or driving around school buses can lead to serious pedestrian accidents.
- Construction zone accidents
- Construction workers may also find themselves at risk for pedestrian-related accidents. Numbers from the National Work Zone Safety Information Clearinghouse found that in 2017, there were 129 fatal crashes involving pedestrians in work zones.
- Lack of visibility
- The Governors Highway Safety Association finds that, over the past 10 years, the number of nighttime pedestrian fatalities has increased by 67 percent, whereas daytime pedestrian fatalities have risen by 16 percent. Lack of visibility is a big concern for pedestrians on New Jersey roadways.
Injuries Associated With Pedestrian Accidents
In a match between 3,000-pounds of steel versus flesh and bone, steel is going to come out on top every single time. Regrettably, the rise in popularity of the SUV has meant an increase in pedestrian fatalities and serious injuries. The Governors Highway Safety Association highlights the fact that pedestrians struck by an SUV are nearly twice as likely to die as those struck by a passenger car. The number of pedestrian fatalities involving SUVs has increased by 81 percent over the past decade.
For those that survive a run-in with a motorist, they face the prospect of dealing with serious and life-altering injuries that can impact their ability to work, function in a relationship, and even care for themselves. Some of the most common injuries associated with auto-pedestrian accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Neck injuries
- Spinal injuries
- Fractured bones
- Organ damage
- Internal injuries
- Crushing injures
- Road rash
Injuries this severe can require extensive hospitalization, multiple surgeries, medication, physical therapy, and intense rehabilitation. It may even require home-health services or that changes be made to a home to make it more accommodating. Health care is not cheap, and the cost of extensive and long-term health care can be financially catastrophic. Your financial future shouldn’t be put in jeopardy because a negligent driver caused an accident. That’s why the legal team at Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers works hard to make sure you have the compensation you deserve.
Contact an Experienced Pedestrian Accident Attorney Today
At Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers, we understand that a pedestrian accident impacts every single aspect of your life. You are dealing with changes to your health, your job status, and your finances, all because a negligent driver failed to operate their vehicle responsibly.
Should you be held financially responsible for someone else’s failure? We don’t think so. We believe that victims deserve the maximum amount of compensation they are entitled to. Our mission to help victims secure compensation and not get taken advantage of by insurance companies or irresponsible drivers.
Life may not feel very fair right now. That’s why the legal team at Brach Eichler Injury Lawyers wants to help you get the compensation you rightfully deserve following a serious pedestrian accident. We seek justice for victims and will take the time to learn about you and the unique circumstances of your case.
Building trust with our clients and working to get them the maximum compensation available are our main goals. Contact our office at (201) 583-5765 to set up your free initial case evaluation. Find out what sets us apart.