New Jersey Truck Accident Attorneys Fight for Full Compensation
Experience, skill and determination yield consistently excellent results
Accidents involving large commercial have the potential to cause devastating and life-altering injuries. If you or a loved one has been seriously hurt, your life’s been disrupted and your future is suddenly uncertain, an experienced attorney from Brach Eichler can help. We have a strong reputation as a premier personal injury law firm in the Garden State, based on highly personalized service and a track record of excellent results. We have recovered more than $125 million in compensation for our clients, and we are ready to put our knowledge and skill to work for you.
Common causes of truck accidents in New Jersey
The first step in recovering compensation for a commercial truck accident is to determine who or what caused the accident. We have vast experience proving causation in truck crashes, including those resulting from such frequent causes as:
- DRIVER INATTENTION —Driver inattention, the most common cause of trucking accidents, includes speeding, distractions such as texting, reckless or careless behavior and fatigue. Truck drivers are held to strict standards regarding hours of service and operation by the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. These rules require truck drivers to be limited to 11 hours of driving per day and 14-hour workdays. Additionally, drivers are limited to 70 hours in a workweek and required to rest for at least 30 minutes during the driver’s first eight hours of a shift. Although various regulations are in place, studies still show that some drivers continue to drive long hours to meet deadlines established by the companies.
- BLIND SPOTS — Commercial trucks are large and have “no zones” or blind spots with the potential to cause an accident if a truck driver does not see a vehicle traveling nearby. Blind spots on trucks are found on the sides, rear and even front of trucks.
- ROLLOVERS — Unfortunately, a rollover collision is a common type of truck accident. Trucks are more prone to rollover than other types of vehicles given the size and weight of the vehicles. Rollover collisions often result in serious injury or death and are commonly caused by improper loading resulting in an imbalanced trailer. A truck that turns too sharply is also at risk for rollover especially if carrying a full or unbalanced load. In addition, if a driver begins to lose control of his truck, uneven ground, a curb, guardrail or even another vehicle, can cause the truck to roll.
- STIMULANTS — Drivers are often faced with time constraints and long hours. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for drivers to resort to stimulants to stay awake and keep up with the demands of their schedule. Stimulants can be purchased over the counter as energy drinks, prescribed pills, or acquired illegally. Once these stimulants have worn off, drivers can tire quickly and easily fall asleep at the wheel.
- MALFUNCTIONING BRAKES — Trucks are often required to travel vast distances for over ten hours per day. This type of use can have a significant impact on the truck’s braking system. Most trucks are equipped with air brakes designed to stop a loaded truck in about 100 feet when traveling at 35-40 miles per hour. A malfunction or improper maintenance can result in brake failure on these 80,000-pound trucks.
Understanding the severity of these accidents and their causes, we work hard to fight for the rights of victims of truck accidents. Unlike a typical motor vehicle accident, you must battle not only the driver and the insurance company, but also a large trucking company. Our team of attorneys has decades of experience and a proven track record in taking on large trucking companies to recover money for our clients.
Accomplished truck accident lawyers ready to help with your claim
We are proud of the amount of money we have been able to get for our clients who have filed personal injury claims due to a truck accident. We can help you to get the compensation you are entitled to. When you are involved in an accident with a large, commercial vehicle, the injuries to yourself and your vehicle can be very serious. The amount of your medical bills is going to add up fast.
We know the legal system and the pitfalls you may experience if you try to get that money on your own. Hire us as your lawyer, and you can focus on getting well. We will help you to get through the process. We will discuss what you can expect during that process and how much money your claim is worth based on the circumstances and your injuries. We also identify money for you for pain and suffering and any lost wages.
We work hard to get you the most money possible, just like we do for every single one of our clients. We know this type of truck accident has shaken you up and completely changed your day to day life. We want you to be able to focus on getting well and not worry about the bills or your family. If you want to see the difference our services can make, call us to schedule a free consultation.
Knowledgeable assistance in Bergen County, Essex County, Passaic County and Middlesex County
The weight and the overall size of a commercial truck and trailer are going to be very damaging. The larger it is and the heavier the load in the trailer, the more potential for serious injury or death to occur when there is an accident. The average 18-wheeler weighs about 80,000 pounds. This is significantly more than the average car.
This is why it really doesn’t take a high speed to result in serious injuries or death when a commercial truck is involved. The sheer force due to the size and weight of that vehicle is going to take it to a level unlike your typical motor vehicle accident out there involving two passenger cars. In addition to the impact and the force of the truck itself, there is the risk of what the truck may be hauling.
They haul food, clothing, household goods, and also dangerous types of cargo. This includes chemicals, hazardous materials, and liquids which could be flammable, including gasoline. This only further creates a dangerous situation where someone could be very seriously harmed. It could cause harm to people around the accident too, not just those directly involved in the collision.
You may be the victim of a truck accident because you were unlucky enough to be in a certain place at a certain point in time. You may not have caused that accident, but you are now hurt and have pain as a result. There are many causes of truck accidents, and most of them are due to either a defect with the vehicle or a driver error.
Truck drivers are considered to be professionals, but they are also humans. Mistakes can happen when they take a risk such as driving too fast for the posted speed limit or too fast for adverse weather conditions. Driver error can be the result of ignoring who has the right of way or not paying attention to various safety laws and rules of the road.
Truck drivers often have a higher risk of an accident than the typical driver due to their lifestyle and habits. They often drive for extended hours at a time, they often have tight schedules for deliveries and pickups, and they may become distracted by others around them or the use of a mobile device. The congestion on busy roads can also make it harder for them to do their job properly.
We want to point out though, it isn’t always errors on the part of the truck driver that create these accidents. Time and time again, drivers out there aren’t paying attention behind the wheel. They drive irresponsibly and that can cause a pile up of several drivers and vehicles in a single accident.
Sometimes, the drivers of a large truck get cut off or they can’t get out of the way when another driver isn’t being responsible. Part of our job as your lawyer is to find out who is actually responsible for the accident and then to hold them accountable. In some situations, there is more than one party responsible and we will pursue a claim against all of them.
Ready to assist with truck accident claims in Passaic County and Morris County
Not all of the truck related accidents out there are the result of errors. Some of them are the result of vehicles that aren’t operating like they should. When trucks aren’t routinely maintained, it puts all on the road at risk. Various parts of these large trucks wear out quickly due to the miles and hours they are on the road. This includes the brakes and the tires.
There can be design flaws in many of the trucks out there on the road as well. The most common one is a blind spot which increases the risk of an accident happening. Visibility is an essential part of driving such a vehicle. When that is lacking, it is only a matter of time until an accident is going to take place.
It also takes longer for a big truck to stop too due to their size and weight. They can’t just push on the brakes and stop without plenty of distance being covered before that happens. This is why truck drivers have to strive to keep a good distance between them and other vehicles. Yet when drivers have vehicles cutting in front of you on busy roads, that can be almost impossible to do.
The rules of the road apply the same to all vehicles out there, including larger commercial trucks. However, there are some specific rules that can apply to large trucks, but the average person is usually unaware of this. When you have an accident with a commercial vehicle, you may be entitled to a larger settlement. The insurance company won’t tell you this, but your lawyer certainly will!
The good news: Higher amounts of insurance coverage for New Jersey truck accidents
There is typically a higher amount of insurance coverage for accidents involving commercial trucks than other vehicles. This is important since with a typical auto insurance policy, there is going to be a maximum amount that the insurance company is willing to pay out for you. It doesn’t matter if you deserve more, the coverage is limited.
We find it upsetting, and our clients do too, when the amount of coverage is so low it doesn’t really give the victim the compensation amount they should have been awarded. When it comes to trucks used commercially, the polices are mandated to have a higher coverage amount than typical auto passenger vehicles policies. This means you don’t have to be stressed about getting enough money to pay your medical bills, supplement lost income, and compensate for pain you have endured.
Your insurance coverage thresholds do not affect your claim
Depending on where you reside, you may get a choice regarding how much insurance coverage you have on your vehicle and as a driver. However, that could bite you hard if you are involved in an accident. The more coverage you have to protect yourself, the higher your premium is going to be. Many consumers are forced to go with the lowest amount required by law in order to budget for it. However, this can mean you aren’t able to get enough money if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident.
You may not realize though, that such options don’t apply to commercial truck owners. Regardless of any threshold limits you have selected on your own policy, it doesn’t apply if you are involved in a truck accident where they are at fault. Too often, people don’t know this, which is why you need an excellent lawyer to share such details with you!
How our determined trial lawyers manage your New Jersey truck accident claim
It may blow you away to learn that hundreds of thousands of people are injured in truck related accidents annually in the United States. Thousands of people either die or suffer from very severe life altering injuries. Ninety-seven percent of those injured in a commercial accident are passengers in other vehicles, not in the commercial truck.
We have handled a wide range of types of truck related accidents, and we will be able to take a unique approach with yours. We look at all the laws that apply and the information in the police report. We conduct an investigation and talk to witnesses. We do whatever it takes, including taking the insurance company to court to get you money.
We do all we can to assist you including:
- Making sure you understand your legal rights and the legal process so you are aware of the necessary steps you need to take and we need to take to process your claim correctly.
- Taking care of all interactions and communications with the insurance company who insures the commercial truck involved in the accident. We focus on the paperwork and phone calls instead of you having to do it.
- We help with any type of property damage you may have so you can get your vehicle fixed or replaced in less time.
- We assist with your medical bills so you don’t have to worry about trying to pay those while you wait for your claim to be processed. We take care of everything so you can focus on your needs.
- You can count on us to get access to all your medical information and records for your case. We will follow up with your doctors, assist with keeping billing agents from harassing you, and make sure you are seeing a doctor who is able to help you with your types of injuries.
- We have a team dedicated to investigating the accident and we will do all we can to prove they are liable and get you the compensation you deserve.
- We have solid knowledge of how insurance companies work to make sure they don’t take advantage of you with their settlement offer. They may try to decline or decrease what they offer you but we aren’t going to let them get away with it. We make sure they give you a fair amount of money.
- We strive to negotiate your settlement and keep it moving forward. Our case will be strong and if the insurance is dragging their feet, we will take them to court to get a judgment.
Once your claim is settled, we reach out to your medical bill providers and ask them to reduce the balance if a lump sum payment is sent. Most will agree to do so, and this can mean more money stays in your own pocket.
Successfully investigating a commercial truck accident
There is plenty of work behinds the scenes when it comes to successfully and correctly investigating any commercial truck accident. We want a solid case, so we can present it well to their insurance company or to the courts. We want to leave no doubt that they are responsible, and you deserve the compensation we are asking for.
We start out by gathering all the information we can. We obtain footage of any videos of the incident and the aftermath as well as the police report. There may have been a dash cam in the commercial truck and we will request that too. We find out if that company has any previous history of negligence. Did the driver follow the hours of service laws etc.? We look at every possible element to build a strong case for you.
This is why we encourage you to contact us about your truck accident claim as soon as possible. The longer you wait, the harder it is to get our hands on such evidence or to secure information with witnesses. The more evidence we have to help support your claim, the harder it is for the insurance company to deny your claim or to offer a low settlement amount.
Let our skilled attorneys get your truck accident claim in motion
You don’t have to feel intimidated by the thought of filing a lawsuit against a large commercial company. They may have lots of money and lawyers but if they or their driver was in the wrong and caused you harm, the law holds them accountable and they know it. All it takes is the right team of New Jersey truck accident attorneys on your side that will stand up to them and demand it.
Pursuing your claim doesn’t have to be time consuming or stressful for you. You just need to work directly with us and we will take care of the rest. We are qualified to handle these types of cases and we will go the distance to get you the settlement that you deserve.
“What if I don’t win?”
While we have a very high success rate, no lawyer out there wins 100 percent of these cases. If you don’t win, there is nothing lost – you won’t owe us any money. You will never get a bill from us for our services. You only pay us if we get you the settlement we feel you deserve. You don’t pay us anything out of your own pocket, any payment comes from your settlement when you receive it.
There is absolutely no risk involved for you to obtain our representation and our excellent services. We take care of it all for you and never rush to get the case resolved. The more money we get for you, the more we get, too. We aren’t going to ignore your case and leave it hanging out there as that means that neither of us will receive any money.
Let our team pursue the compensation you deserve for your NJ truck accident claim
We take on all aspects of personal injury law, and we know what to do to get you money. We have been able to get large settlements for those clients injured in commercial truck accidents. It isn’t your fault you have pain, injuries, or you can’t return to work. With our help, you can hold those responsible accountable. Don’t sabotage the outcome by trying to do this all on your own. The insurance companies are never on your side, they want to save money. Give us a call and let’s work as a team to get the money for you that you deserve.